Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Kid's Stuff part one: Antioch Rawks!

An e-mail from my friend Ami, who works as a special education teacher. You can't make this stuff up!

So today Keith (1st grade) and I are working on fluency and comprehension of stories. I have him reading a Level 2 Reader story about NASCAR. Keith knows all about car racing, I guess he goes on Saturdays in Antioch sometimes to watch the races there.

Anyway, he's sort of stumbling through it, but doing a pretty good job. He reads about how before the races everyone stands up and reads the National Anthem. He actually decodes the words "National Anthem." I'm praising him all over the place and am really impressed he figured it out. So, I start asking him about what the National Anthem is. I start singing the first few bars of it.

Keith says, "Oh no, oh no. I know what it is..."

And then, with the most earnest face, and with 100% sincerity, starts belting:

"We will, we will rock you..."

I cracked up, explained it was a rock song, but that it WAS often sung at sports arenas.

He says, "Well, it's the national anthem in Antioch..."

There are just some days where I love my job.

No comments: