Thursday, February 28, 2008

DREAM THEATRE Part 4: A Cavalcade of Shorts


A selection of strange dreams culled from old journals.

The Sitter. I'm taking care of a rabbit, a cat, and a baby. I have to make sure that the rabbit doesn't leave the house, that the cat doesn't kill the rabbit or scratch out the baby's eyes, and of course that the baby's needs are taken care of. This is a recurring dream that always ends with the rabbit escaping from its hutch and the cat giving chase, while the baby screams inconsolably.

Daemon Bear. I'm at a carnival watching a bear perform tricks much to the amusement of a delighted audience. It's my job to keep an eye on the bear if it decides to do its "thing." Sure enough, it bolts to the side of the stage mid-performance and transforms into what it really is: a demon. I run out after it but can't seem to catch it. In fact, it starts chasing me around the stage, much to the delight of an amused audience.

Lions in the Street. I'm walking along a quiet residential neighborhood and ahead of me I see a lion in front of a driveway. I turn around and see another one crossing the street. I'm scared but keep my wits about me, calmly walking to the front door of the nearest house and ringing the doorbell. A kindly old lady answers and invites me in. She pours me a cup of tea and as I look outside from a gorgeous bay window in her living room, she explains that the lions are harmless... it's the tigers you have to watch out for. I had this dream about a year and a half before the escaped tiger incident at the SF Zoo, so I'm not quite sure what nether region of my arse I pulled this one from.

The Sound. I'm in a creepy forest lined with withered, dead trees. Leaves are strewn all about the forest floor, ankle deep. Everything is black and white. It's cold and a thick mist hangs low just a few yards above my head so that I can't see the sky. All of a sudden I hear a reverberating murmur behind me, a sad lament calling me from the other side of the forest, and it chills my bones. I know that I have to leave this place before it catches up to me. I trudge across the dreary wood as fast as I'm able but the sound gets louder and louder behind me. I reach a meadow in the middle of which there is a ladder that will take me above the hanging mist, and hopefully to freedom. The sound is all around me now, a terrible ghostly chanting, and fear engulfs me, numbing my body and slowing my pace. As I grip the ladder and begin my ascent, the dream ends. The sound was my stereo alarm, and I had set it so that it would play The Empty Hollow Unfolds, a CD of scary as hell ambient music by one of my favs of the genre, Raison d'Être.

No comments: