Saturday, February 2, 2008

Album of the Week

Two this week. Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Red Headed Stranger by Carla Bozulich. I saw There Will Be Blood some weeks ago. Godspeed's music and Carla's reworking of Willie Nelson's classic album seem to perfectly frame the images and impressions of the movie that have stayed with me these last few weeks: Poor economically depressed towns, beautiful and vast lonely expanses of open country, and a man's slow descent into madness. Suffice it to say, I thought it was a great movie. And while I believe the film's music, composed by Radiohead's Johnny Greenwood, to be one of the best I've heard in a very long time (they really don't make 'em like they used to), as I sat there watching it I kept thinking "Damn, I've gotta listen to Godspeed when I get home!"


No comments: