Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Mogwai, Regency Ballroom 9.8.08



This show was damn loud. That's a good thing. And I thought my hearing had been dulled to the point where I can no longer tell whether one show is any louder than another. The ear-splitting decibel levels at this concert ranks right up there with Nine Inch Nails in '93 for the Downward Spiral tour, and any Metallica show I've ever attended as the LOUDEST SHOWS EVER. Honorable Mention goes to Merzbow with Mike Patton, where I saw nearly everyone at the front of the stage without earplugs covering their ears with their hands, and to dronelords Sunn O))), whose subsonic frequencies literally rattle my bones every time I see them. But back to Mogwai. The setlist:

the precipice
yes! i am a long way from home
thank you space expert
friend of the night
i love you, i'm going to blow up your school
cody
i'm jim morrison, i'm dead
hunted by a freak
mogwai fear satan
(ithica 27o9?)
helicon 1
two rights make one wrong
like herod
batcat

No encore. Not that they needed one. The one-two punch of "Like Herod" and "Batcat" (off the newest album) rendered that seemingly obligatory (and rather tired, in my opinion) concert ritual utterly useless. The lads from Glasgow were in fine form throughout their 90+ minute set, with "Mogwai Fear Satan" and "Batcat" being my personal favorites. The latter is a full on rocker from start to finish, which the band played with great fervor, while the former perfectly exemplifies their Quiet-Loud-Quiet-Loud style of song writing for which they first became known. Right, and did I mention that it fucking rules live? What a great way to start off the week. New album drops in a couple weeks.

No comments: