Tuesday, September 30, 2008

KMFDM • The Warfield Theatre • September 30, 1995


I went to this show because it was a free ticket given to me by a co-worker, I was curious to see what KMFDM was all about, not having heard a lot about them, but the main reason for my going was to check out the opening act, Korn. Back then they were a hot new band with a single off their first album that was getting much airplay, and this was back in the day when I actually still listened to radio. That first album was something new to mainstream metal. The music was unlike anything I'd heard before, and those vocals! Jonathan's delivery was intense and completely unique. I played that CD constantly. They came out and the moshers went ballistic. They definitely had a lot of fan presence at this gig, and they weren't even the headliners. Watching them then was bearing witness to a young band that was lean and mean, a group of guys that were hungry–so unlike what they would eventually become. They didn't have the stupid stage props, Jonathan wasn't wearing sequined jogging pants or Rasputin style gowns; when I saw them on this night it was all about kicking ass with just the power of the music. At one point the singer started one song with a bagpipe intro, and people lost their shit. KMFDM put on a good show, but Korn blew those techno goth motherfuckers up like The Godfather. Oh yeah, and I loved how when Korn left the stage, all the knucklehead jock/thug types moved to the back (or left) and all the goths emerged from out of nowhere to take their places up front. Nice.


Acid Mothers Temple • Bottom Of The Hill • September 30, 2005


No comments: